Tying up the loose ends

Wednesday, February 9, 2011


After spending almost ten years in Korea, I can't believe it's coming to an end. In about three weeks time, I'll be back in Durban, South Africa, my hometown/country, and this whole experience will be behind me. The time that I've spend in Korea is so vivid in my mind, although I have a notoriously bad memory, I don't think a day will go by when I won't think of something funny or just mundane that happened to me here. Just now, I was talking to my co-teacher, the lovely Mrs. Jang, and she was telling me how she went on a trip with seven friends to Taiwan, and how one friend refused to eat the food there. That friend had dutifully packed her kimchi, and cup ramen, and everytime they went out to a restuarant, she would request hot water for her ramen!! I was in stitches laughing at the image so this grown woman carrying her bag of ramen and kimchi wherever she went!
One thing I can say, but it's with a dab of irony, there has never been a dull moment! Even when the moment was dull you had to remember where you were and go, oh, I'm bored but I'm in the most foreign country I could ever be in, how funny!
A fun 'sport' among the foreign teachers is sitting around and exchanging 'war stories'. Guaranteed to make you smile or laugh out loud, especially when something similar has happened to  you (which it probably did). Korea is nothing if not predictable. Wherever you are in the country you can find a MiniStop/Paris Baguette/TousleJours/PC Bang!! What's more, Koreans are so like-minded that most of us have had the exact same misunderstandings with our co-teachers at some point!
Now I'm off to do more fun stuff, including filling up the car, and having lunch with my co-teachers! Wish me luck with the latter!

No comments:

Post a Comment