On following my heart

Thursday, February 10, 2011


I followed my heart to find my way home and it's been a long journey. It's taken me to familiar places, but it's also taken me out of my comfort zone, from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere, from West to East and back again. Now that I'm heading back home, to South Africa, I find myself feeling a little ambivalent. I feel as though I'm leaving one home for another. My new home is in South Korea, where I've spent the past nine years as an English teacher. I've spent almost a decade here, the best part of my 30's, gotten married, and had a child.
I'll be sad to leave this place but I'm also terribly excited and happy to be returning to my home, to be reunited with my family and old friends in a place that has moved forward, and undergone so many changes in my absence. I'm sad to be leaving the new friends I have made and a lifestyle that is safe and unlike anything I've known, a life that I have hated or loved at various times, in a country that was absolutely foreign to me in every way but that now feels so familiar like an old habit that I'm reluctant to break, a place and time that I'll never forget, that will stay with me forever.
I want to dedicate my blog to the endings and beginnings that I've faced thus far in my life and more importantly I want to dedicate this blog to my parents, my sister, my husband and my son, who are all collectively my past, present and future.
I'm looking forward to a big family reunion in March, and I can't wait to see everyone again!

No comments:

Post a Comment