Last hurrah... Seoul!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Last week I went to Seoul with NJ to have a last look-around. We visited some friends in Suwon to say goodbye. The next time we'll see them will be in South Africa later this year. It was really good to see their baby girls (twins born in December), who are growing so beautifully. Saying goodbye wasn't too bad as we know we'll definitely see each other again.
Next, we headed for Itaewon, a mecca for foreigners. It was really cold but NJ kept my temp up with his constant 'buy me this-buy me that'. After about an hour of that I decided let's just go to Lotte World now! (I was planning on only going the following day). Well, this was a good decision. We had such an awesome time that I decided we should go again the next day. On the Monday I forgot that a lot of tourist spots are closed so we walked around the War Memorial outdoors display of tanks, planes, and missiles before taking a long walk back to Itaewon. If you're alone, it's fine, you can take in scenery, listen to your iPod, smoke a ciggy, etc; but if you have a five year old along, believe me, it's a long walk... most of the way, he wanted me to carry him on my back! We visited the new Whatthebook store and I bought some cool books for NJ and mags for myself. Love the new site but not the cold interior of the store. I like bookstores that are cosy and feel like they're in Dickens's London.
Tuesday was a little busier as we took a ride around Seoul on the City Tour Bus. It was fun to be ble to see Seoul from that perspective. I usually travel around in the subway which is mostly underground. It's amazing how huge Seoul is, and the tour only covers the inner downtown areas. There is too much to see. We stopped off at the Namsan Seoul Tower, that they are now calling the N. Seoul Tower. It's changed quite a bit since I was last there, but it's still as awesome as ever. We took some pics with some cool backgrounds. That was nice. Of course NJ loved the views from the observatory deck.
We also stopped at the famed Cheonggye stream, which I've been dying to visit, but I think it's best to go there in the summer time. It was freezing cold, there were even icicles on the waterfalls, but it was still beautiful.
I also went to a tattoo place (Charm Studio) in Itaewon and got a final tattoo done by the awesome guy there. It's in Hangul script, freehand style by the artist, on the upper left arm, and it is a loving message from me to my son. I was so happy with the outcome! My son was standing there the whole time, like a cheerleader, watching as the needle progressed up my arm and my cries of pain were getting louder, saying, "Don't worry, mommy, it's nearly finished.... okay, finished now!" What an experience!
We ended the final day by going to Outback for a free meal. My husband was given a gift voucher by his boss at ECC, so we made good use of that!
Finally, there was the long trip home in the overheated bus! And then, it was home sweet Jungmadong home. It was actually good to be back!
Seoul is on the top of my list of things to do in life, and I would love to return as a visitor one day and do some serious shopping! There are so many cool places to visit, restuarants, parks, museums, galleries, souvenirs, the Han River, palaces, etc, etc.
What a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment