It's been a while

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's certainly been a long time since I last posted anything. I really don't know where to begin. Okay, I decided to change the name of my blog for starters, because the first one was too subject-specific and doesn't apply anymore. Anyway, I think this one will be around for a long time.
So here I am, finally back in South Africa, at home in Durban. Well, I'm not really at home since I'm not actually in my own house right now. We'll be moving again, to our house, in July. Our current address is temporary but what a godsend it has been! We were lucky enough to be asked to house-sit for my husband's aunt whilst she's away visiting her daughter in the US for six months. It  so happened that our house is being leased for the same period of time and we can only move in there in July which is around the same time the aunt will return to SA! whew!! TG for that!
My boy is fully ensconced in Grade R at his new school (St. Gerard's) and seems to be quite happy there, making new friends and adapting to a whole new way of life. One of the funnier things that happened in the first couple of weeks was him telling us that he had "soup" for breakfast at school ... that boggled our minds as we couldn't imagine any school serving soup for breakfast. But after a quick Q and A session, we figured out that what he was describing was in fact the traditional maize porridge that is so popular here but is so foreign to him! He was drinking it out of the bowl like he would drink soup in Korea!
We are slowly adjusting back to life in SA. We live near the beach now and it's still a shock to my system to know that it's just over the hill from our house; that I can go there whenever the mood strikes. Awesome!
Being so near to our family and friends after being away for so long is amazing but still takes some getting used to. I love being able to call someone and know that I can see them the next day and not at the expense of an air ticket from all the way across the world!
For me, it's a bit strange living here now because I have moved to a new suburb and I have yet to get acquainted with the geography of it all. There are new road names to learn, new shops to explore, new faces to get to know. My husband is from this area so it's a little easier for him although he was just telling me the other day that even he has forgotten some of the road names from his old suburb and he's having to get used to it all over again as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment