Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Once again, I've been away from my blog for reasons beyond my control. I finally have access to a fast-speed connection and I think I can confidently say "I'm back!"
I'm looking forward to updating my blog at least once a week from now on and have lots of catching up to do!
First of all, I've rejoined the 'noble' profession of teaching in SA and have spent the past few months at a high school that was quite challenging to say the least. Educating has taken a back seat to Discipline! I taught from Grade 8 to Grade 11 and some days I really thought I had stepped right into Hell! The learners have an incredible approach to education, namely that it is a right and that it will enter their brains and bloodstream by the process of osmosis!! Good luck to them.
I am now at, . . . , wait for it, . . . , a primary school!!! Another challenge! But here at least the kids are still small and respond well to methods of discipline such as "Put your finger on your lips!" or "Go stand in the corner and think about what you did!", which definitely do not work at high school level!
And, now I get lots of hugs everyday!! I look forward to the end of the day, not only because I get to leave, but also because of all the lovely hugs! So sweet!
The work is different but definitely not as stressful as the high school. So as with anything in the life, I have been pondering the pros and cons of the life of an educator at a high school and at a primary school. It's not as cut and dried as some people think. A lot depends on where your school is situated. The demographics. The physical location. Are you commuting or do you live nearby? How much prep are you doing? How much support are you getting from the staff and fellow educators? And so on and so on! Amongst the positive aspects of my new school are the aforementioned hugs, the access that the staff has to the internet and the excellent Tuck shop!
To be continued...
I'm looking forward to updating my blog at least once a week from now on and have lots of catching up to do!
First of all, I've rejoined the 'noble' profession of teaching in SA and have spent the past few months at a high school that was quite challenging to say the least. Educating has taken a back seat to Discipline! I taught from Grade 8 to Grade 11 and some days I really thought I had stepped right into Hell! The learners have an incredible approach to education, namely that it is a right and that it will enter their brains and bloodstream by the process of osmosis!! Good luck to them.
I am now at, . . . , wait for it, . . . , a primary school!!! Another challenge! But here at least the kids are still small and respond well to methods of discipline such as "Put your finger on your lips!" or "Go stand in the corner and think about what you did!", which definitely do not work at high school level!
And, now I get lots of hugs everyday!! I look forward to the end of the day, not only because I get to leave, but also because of all the lovely hugs! So sweet!
The work is different but definitely not as stressful as the high school. So as with anything in the life, I have been pondering the pros and cons of the life of an educator at a high school and at a primary school. It's not as cut and dried as some people think. A lot depends on where your school is situated. The demographics. The physical location. Are you commuting or do you live nearby? How much prep are you doing? How much support are you getting from the staff and fellow educators? And so on and so on! Amongst the positive aspects of my new school are the aforementioned hugs, the access that the staff has to the internet and the excellent Tuck shop!
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment